Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox - Edit Your Setting - View Shoutbox
Got any photos of your tank/fish? Why not join the forum? Come and join the fun.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

No New Posts - New Posts
Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Time for a New Computer?, (or just a new browser?)
curviceps
Posted: Jan 11 2014, 02:18 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

Group: Admin

Prefers: Tropical Aquarium

Shop Finage: 31625
Submissions: None Submitted
Downloads: 13

Great news Joe!! Not long to wait, you'll be counting down how many sleeps to go lmao.gif
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 27-February 05 | Posts: 11171 | Topics Started: 861 | Member No.: 528
Awards: 23
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 0 |
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jan 11 2014, 05:47 PM
Quote Post
"Ensign . . . get us out of here . . . warp nine!"

Group: Super Moderator

Shop Finage: 22245
Downloads: 1

QUOTE (curviceps @ Jan 11 2014, 09:18 AM)
Great news Joe!! Not long to wait, you'll be counting down how many sleeps to go lmao.gif

Thanks, curvi! laugh.gif

Actually, I just received the optical drive a few moments ago (three days earlier than expected!) ohmy.gif wow!

I MUST be at home to sign for the computer (scheduled for 1-17-14), so I hope they don't try to deliver it on any other day, because of my other appointments, etc.

So far, so good! thumbsup.gif

All best, Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4265 | Topics Started: 376 | Member No.: 79
Awards: 1
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jan 12 2014, 02:32 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

That's great Joe, good prompt service!!
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 27-February 05 | Posts: 11171 | Topics Started: 861 | Member No.: 528
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jan 12 2014, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

As an update for all the technically curious people out there, I finally configured my new system as follows:

OS X "Mavericks" OS (latest Apple OS upgraded from "Mountain Lion")
21.5" monitor
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
2.7 GHz Intel quad-core i5 processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT640M 512 MB graphics card
256GB SSD flash storage
Apple "SuperDrive" external Optical Drive
Wireless Magic Mouse
Wireless Apple Keyboard

I did NOT sign up for the "Apple Protection" extended warranty, or for their "One on One" package. I went with the wireless keyboard after all. (If I don't like it (because of the lack of a number pad), I can always order the wired one later for $79). The new "Mavericks" OS now includes 'Numbers', 'Pages', etc. so I didn't need to order them separately. This saved me some money! ($169+ $99+ $79 +$40 = $387) yahoo.gif

My final cost for the system is $1,689 rather than the ~$2,100 as estimated last summer.

All good things come to him who waits smile.gif

I will post up pics, etc. once I receive the system and get it set up. thumbsup.gif

All best, Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4265 | Topics Started: 376 | Member No.: 79
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jan 19 2014, 02:15 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

C'mon Joe, where's the update!! Have you got it yet?
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jan 19 2014, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (curviceps @ Jan 19 2014, 09:15 AM)
C'mon Joe, where's the update!!  Have you got it yet?

Yes, thank you curvi . . . it arrived on the 17th. I unpacked it, and temporarily set up on my coffee table smile.gif

What I am now doing is figuring out how to transfer files from my PC via USB flash drive to the iMac. I brought some files over, and am testing them this morning. I hope I didn't damage anything, or corrupted any files because I unplugged the USB too soon, etc. unsure.gif

Anyway, my PC "Excel" financial files seem to have gone through alright!

I need to learn how to run Apple's "Numbers" program, etc. etc. Once I am 100% satisfied with all the rest of the files, I will shutdown the old PC, and install the new iMac in its place. Then hook the iMac up to the Internet, and add my printer. Finally, I have to figure out how to hook up my camera, and transfer & edit photos before I can show you any pics.

So, I am still using this PC until the last moment.

So far, so good! thumbsup.gif

All best and thanks,
Joe

Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jan 20 2014, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Hey, curviceps smile.gif

Just for you, here are two pics of my new iMac, showing the computer, keyboard, and mouse temporarily set up on my living room table . . . all wireless now. The small white box contains an optical drive for playing DVD's or CD's. I did not open it yet. As you can see, the system is very compact. All the wires, cables, and tower are now gone. Since it has a Solid State Drive (SSD), there are no moving parts, and the system is completely silent in operation. I now have quadruple the memory and storage that I used to have, so the system is much faster.

I just finished moving all my PC files over a few minutes ago, and it appears that they are all accessible. As I use, edit, and save these files, they will be automatically converted to their corresponding Apple versions ('Word' to 'Pages' and 'Excel' to 'Numbers', etc.)

These are the last two pics to be saved, uploaded and shared from my PC . . . cry1.gif

Tomorrow, I will shut down and dismantle my current PC, and install my iMac system, make connections to the Internet, and install my printer (all hopefully without any problems lmao.gif)

So, the next time I log on it will be thru my new iMac . . .

Thanks so much for your interest and support, mate cheers.gif

See you all later and signing off for now,
Joe

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jan 20 2014, 07:13 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

Woohoo!!! Nice one Joe!! Hope you enjoy it mate smile.gif

Hooking your camera up should just be the same as with PC, use the USB cable, though personally, I'd get a wee cheap USB card reader (not sure about your model, but the Macs we used at college had a built in SD reader on the side of the screen) that way if anything went wrong with either camera or computer while they're hooked up, it can't damage the other!
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jan 27 2014, 11:47 AM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

So how are you getting on with your new machine Joe? You getting used to the different OS from Windows?
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jan 27 2014, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (curviceps @ Jan 27 2014, 06:47 AM)
So how are you getting on with your new machine Joe?  You getting used to the different OS from Windows?

Very well, thank you curvi smile.gif

All the hardware went in smoothly . . . I powered down my modem then plugged in the Internet connection and my printer. On startup, the iMac located the correct printer driver from the Internet, downloaded it and installed it all automatically. I was pretty impressed.

YouTube wouldn't work unless I installed Adobe Flash Player, and I tried to do that over and over, but without success. sad.gif

So I went ahead and installed the Google Chrome browser (instead of using the Safari browser which comes with every Mac) and all works perfectly now. This shouldn't be too surprising since Google owns Chrome and YouTube, eh? A side benefit of Chrome is that it will automatically track updates to the Flash player and install them in the background.

My "Excel" files are getting converted over to "Numbers" files one by one as I use and edit them. There is a LOT I have yet to learn, but I just do a little bit every day and I'm slowly getting used to the new software.

I still have not attempted to work with my camera and photo files, but will hopefully get around to that soon. Then I'll upload some pics for you.

All in all, I am very pleased with my new computer, and would not hesitate to recommend the iMac to anyone looking to replace their Windows machine! thumbsup.gif

All best and thanks for asking,
Jersey Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jan 28 2014, 02:18 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

Nice one Joe smile.gif
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Mar 27 2014, 09:14 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

Shop Finage: 11455
Submissions: 4 
Downloads: 12

That's a great computer you've got there Joe. Hows it all going after a couple of months use?

Been toying with heading in the mac direction myself as I'd like to have a go a writing apps for my iphone, just haven't managed to pluck up the courage to make the spend though, just in case I didn't get on with it laugh.gif
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17344 | Topics Started: 1019 | Member No.: 207
Awards: 20
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Page Hits: 17298872