Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox - Edit Your Setting - View Shoutbox
Got any photos of your tank/fish? Why not join the forum? Come and join the fun.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

No New Posts - New Posts
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Help with Ph- Alkalinity, SOS
angieinstlouie
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 04:27 PM
Quote Post
Advanced Member

Group: Members

Prefers: Tropical Aquarium

Shop Finage: 385
Submissions: None Submitted
Downloads: No Files Downloaded

shout.gif For 5 days now we have been having some serious problems with our Ph levels dropping drastically. We lost our sweet little Brissel Nose Friday night because of it. sad.gif
Now my other fish have been huddeling in one corner on the bottom no matter what we do. We have done a 30% water change and a 20% in last 4 days. We have put the ammo chips in the whisper filter to keep the Amonia down and put the activated carbon rocks in it also. We have been using AmeQuel + as directed and have also put some Ph increaser in there.
Nothing seems to be working for the little babies.
Could someone help us out with some suggestions. And is there anything I can use in a quick fix to raise the Alkalinity level?
Thanks, Angieinstlouie
P.S. The Nitrates were up earlier last week but we got those down and they have stayed down.
Member Info: | Joined: 29-November 04 | Posts: 204 | Topics Started: 20 | Member No.: 303
Awards: None
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 0 |
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 04:32 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

Group: Admin

Shop Finage: 11465
Submissions: 4 
Downloads: 12

What PH is it dropping to?
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17346 | Topics Started: 1006 | Member No.: 207
Awards: 20
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
asmodeus
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 04:45 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Shop Finage: 2345

Check your kH level. If its below about 4 degrees (~74 ppm) then you can raise it by adding bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda) to your water. 1/2 teaspoon per 100 litres should raise the level by 1 degree.
Member Info: | Joined: 28-August 04 | Posts: 655 | Topics Started: 107 | Member No.: 131
Awards: 5
PM
asmodeus
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 04:47 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Shop Finage: 2345

Also... avoid products like pH+ and pH- where ever possible, ESPECIALLY if you have a low kH as the pH will change according to the product and then swing quickly in an other direction. A constantly swinging pH is far more stressful/dangerous than a stable, but undesirable pH
Member Info: | Joined: 28-August 04 | Posts: 655 | Topics Started: 107 | Member No.: 131
Awards: 5
PM
angieinstlouie
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 05:07 PM
Quote Post
Advanced Member

It has dropped as low as 6.2 , and the KH was close to a 0 reading at one point. But now is about .4.
Oh my no + or - Ph stuff, see I am killing the poor little guys! Man this is hard! ohmy.gif
Okay am going to add a little baking soda now.

This post has been edited by angieinstlouie on Dec 20 2004, 05:08 PM
Member Info: | Joined: 29-November 04 | Posts: 204 | Topics Started: 20 | Member No.: 303
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 05:10 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

QUOTE (angieinstlouie @ Dec 20 2004, 05:07 PM)
It has dropped as low as 6.2 , and the KH was close to a 0 reading at one point. But now is about .4.
Oh my no + or - Ph stuff, see I am killing the poor little guys! Man this is hard! ohmy.gif
Okay am going to add a little baking soda now.

Take it easy with how much you add at a time. You need to bring things up slooowly.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17346 | Topics Started: 1006 | Member No.: 207
Neon Man
  Posted: Dec 20 2004, 05:45 PM
Quote Post
"Ensign . . . get us out of here . . . warp nine!"

Group: Super Moderator

Shop Finage: 22445
Downloads: 1

Are you sure about your pH reading?

Personally I do not think that 6.2 is a danger level, but Asmodeus is quite correct in that you do *not* want it to be fluctuating up and down.

Check *all* your readings for us: Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Temp, pH ohmy.gif

Are you *sure* that pH is what killed your bristlenose? How do you know that it is not something else? What fish do you keep, and do they require a higher pH?

All best,
Joe

Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4297 | Topics Started: 377 | Member No.: 79
Awards: 1
PMEmail Poster
Imbrium
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 05:49 PM
Quote Post
Advanced Member

Shop Finage: 30

I have crushed coral in my tanks to buffer, and raise the pH. It's really cheap, and lasts a long time.
Member Info: | Joined: 9-November 04 | Posts: 118 | Topics Started: 8 | Member No.: 240
PMEmail PosterYahoo
The Arab
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 06:09 PM
Quote Post
Unregistered

Prefers:

Shop

What is it normally?
Member Info: | | | |
Your Gallery: | | |
angieinstlouie
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 06:36 PM
Quote Post
Advanced Member

I have 2 Neon Swordies, 2 Red Plattys, and 2 Golden Barbs.
No I guess something else could have killed the BNC, but I did not see any signs of disease on her or any sign of other fish hurting her. I guess you never know.
I thought the swordtails needed a higher ph then the barbs, like around 7.2 or so, I thought a ph level of 6.2 was too acidic. I have no idea what I am doing it seems.
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
  Posted: Dec 20 2004, 07:38 PM
Quote Post
"Ensign . . . get us out of here . . . warp nine!"

Group: Super Moderator

Shop Finage: 22445
Downloads: 1

Swords and Platies like harder water and a (slightly) higher ph of 7.2

All fish can adapt to changes from their ideal [read: theoretical] water chemistry, but not as well to sudden fluctuations in it, as has been pointed out above.

IMHO, the pH is a very greatly overemphasized water parameter!

As long as it is between 6 and 7.5, it should be fine. Unless you are trying to achieve very specific conditions for breeding certain species (such as my namesake Neon Tetras) your concerns may be unfounded. Trying to keep your pH values at a certain level may be causing more grief for you (and your fish) than is warranted.

(I will accept any criticisms of my remarks from our group, as we are all learning, and have our own experiences in this.)

Again IMHO, parameters such as Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Temperature are far more important than pH. Check your fresh water supply. It the pH and Nitrates in it are OK, then frequent partial water changes are the easiest and best way to avoid problems in your tank.

Some of this chemistry can can get VERY complicated! Do NOT compound it by adding 'this' or 'that' to your tank in a well meaning effort to create a "perfect" theoretical water chemistry for your fish.

Please keep us informed as to how you are doing.

All best, and good luck,

Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4297 | Topics Started: 377 | Member No.: 79
Awards: 1
PMEmail Poster
angieinstlouie
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 08:38 PM
Quote Post
Advanced Member

Thank you so much for all the input. As you say I am making it harder then it is, I am surprised I don't have ICH! LOL
I get attached to the little things and worry a lot.
But okay advice will be taken. Thanks again, all of you!
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Dec 20 2004, 10:19 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

QUOTE (Neon Man @ Dec 20 2004, 07:38 PM)
Swords and Platies like harder water and a (slightly) higher ph of 7.2

All fish can adapt to changes from their ideal [read: theoretical] water chemistry, but not as well to sudden fluctuations in it, as has been pointed out above.

IMHO, the pH is a very greatly overemphasized water parameter!

As long as it is between 6 and 7.5, it should be fine. Unless you are trying to achieve very specific conditions for breeding certain species (such as my namesake Neon Tetras) your concerns may be unfounded. Trying to keep your pH values at a certain level may be causing more grief for you (and your fish) than is warranted.

(I will accept any criticisms of my remarks from our group, as we are all learning, and have our own experiences in this.)

Again IMHO, parameters such as Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Temperature are far more important than pH. Check your fresh water supply. It the pH and Nitrates in it are OK, then frequent partial water changes are the easiest and best way to avoid problems in your tank.

Some of this chemistry can can get VERY complicated! Do NOT compound it by adding 'this' or 'that' to your tank in a well meaning effort to create a "perfect" theoretical water chemistry for your fish.

Please keep us informed as to how you are doing.

All best, and good luck,

Joe

I'm with you Joe on all you have said. The most important thing is stable, stable and stable. Fish are very adaptable over long periods.

As previously mentioned, crushed coral is a very good PH buffer. Yo could add a pouch of it to your filter. This should raise your KH and help keep the pH more stable, even if not at the 'ideal' level.
Group Icon
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Page Hits: 17518823