Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox - Edit Your Setting - View Shoutbox
Got any photos of your tank/fish? Why not join the forum? Come and join the fun.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

No New Posts - New Posts
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Farllowella Acus, a.k.a - Twig Catfish
Jacko
Posted: Nov 13 2007, 02:40 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members

Prefers: Tropical Aquarium

Shop Finage: 65
Submissions: None Submitted
Downloads: No Files Downloaded

user posted image
Above: Farlowella acus, male.

Common Name: ph and temp: Tank size:Twig catfish 6.2-7.3
78-84 At least a 29 gallon, though a 20 long could work.

Habitat: South America, moving currents

General: Farlowella acus are a very elongated Loricidae, and is a long lost L-number species. This fish is slightly aggressive fish towards the same sex of their own species. It is sometimes known to starve off rivals in an inadequate sized tank. This fish grows to an average of 6, sometimes never exceeding 5 though not uncommon to have one reach 7. This fish loves acidic water and is from South American rivers and other the other water systems.

Feeding: F. acus are a vegetarian fish, feeding mainly on brown diatoms and other soft algae. It is also a good idea to keep wood in their tanks, being a Loricidae they enjoy/need to rasp at it to help with digestion. A supplement in case your tank is lacking algae is the common algae wafers placed in after lights out, or a tub of water with rocks in it placed out in the sun to gather algae and move a couple rocks in at a time, switching out for old ones.

Breeding: Sexual dimorphisms for this fish include the males being thinner and have small hairs/fuzz on their snout. Twig Catfish are much like their cousins the whiptail cat in their breeding behavior. They lay eggs, about 40 of them on an upright piece of slate or on the tank side. Once the eggs hatch and the fry have absorbed the yolk sac the fry should be fed infusorians or green water, with a little substitution of BBS.
Member Info: | Joined: 1-July 07 | Posts: 6 | Topics Started: 1 | Member No.: 1731
Awards: None
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 0 |
PMEmail Poster
Mat B
Posted: Nov 13 2007, 05:21 PM
Quote Post
Actor & Dancer, Doncaster

Shop Finage: 3865

Very nice my dad has got some in his tank, unfortunatly i cannot put any in my tank earth eaters have taken over sad.gif
Member Info: | Joined: 14-October 06 | Posts: 709 | Topics Started: 48 | Member No.: 1219
PMEmail PosterMSN
Jacko
Posted: Nov 14 2007, 04:44 AM
Quote Post

Shop Finage: 65

Thanks! I sure miss my guy! He died in a Co2 accident dry.gif
Member Info: | Joined: 1-July 07 | Posts: 6 | Topics Started: 1 | Member No.: 1731
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Page Hits: 18032750