Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox - Edit Your Setting - View Shoutbox
Got any photos of your tank/fish? Why not join the forum? Come and join the fun.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

No New Posts - New Posts
Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Betta Tank Size., How small is too small?
Posted: Nov 27 2009, 12:23 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Group: Members

Prefers: Tropical Aquarium

Shop Finage: 2015
Submissions: None Submitted
Downloads: 1

Hello,
I was in my new favourite LFS a couple of days ago "just looking" and I noticed some gorgeous bettas (unfortunately in the minuscule "glasses" they keep them in). I saw them and instantly wanted one. whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif
So my question is: Is a 29 litre (sorry don't know gallons) tank too small for a betta?
I know everyone will say the bigger the "betta" biggrin.gif but I was thinking that if the landlord ever came around I could move him quite easily out of sight. I realise that there is less room for error chemically in a smaller tank, but I am more than willing to do the necessary work, so no problem there.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!
thumbup.gif
Member Info: | Joined: 26-April 09 | Posts: 399 | Topics Started: 23 | Member No.: 2224
Awards: 2
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 0 |
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
  Posted: Nov 27 2009, 04:16 PM
Quote Post
"Ensign . . . get us out of here . . . warp nine!"

Group: Admin

Shop Finage: 22535

No, a 29 Liter tank (approx 7.5 gallons) is a fine size for a single male Betta! Make sure you give him some plants (plastic or real) for him to hide behind and give him some security.

Of course, yes, the bigger your tank, the "Betta"! laugh.gif (good one, Miss Jo! wink.gif)

I believe the reasoning behind selling these poor fish in those small jars is because of the belief that in the wild they only live in puddles, rice paddies, etc.

They are also supposedly able to live at room temp (like goldfish), but down where you are, that would be plenty warm! smile.gif

All best,
Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4313 | Topics Started: 379 | Member No.: 79
Awards: 1
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
  Posted: Nov 27 2009, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

P.S.

I forgot to mention that some time ago I kept a single male Betta in a 2 gallon goldfish bowl quite successfuly for over two years before he passed on . . . sad.gif

Each week I would completely change out his water with water that had "aged" the previous week at room temperature. I also always used Tertra's "Aqua-Safe" conditioner to make sure that no chloramines were present. I used some plastic plants, and large colored glass "mancala" beads as a substrate. He loved his home! laugh.gif wub.gif

Now . . . just think of how much better YOUR fish would do in a tank over three times that size with a filter, etc. thumbsup.gif

All best,
Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4313 | Topics Started: 379 | Member No.: 79
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Nov 27 2009, 11:42 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Thanks Neon Man! biggrin.gif
I do have an internal filter for the tank, the spray bar is quite powerful. Would it be too strong for the poor little guy? Do they need more gentle filtration?
As for the temperature, I do have a small 50 watt heater that I used for my goldies in winter (felt sorry for them - yes I know), so no issues there.
Would he need assistance from an algae eating friend?
Sorry, so many questions........

Member Info: | Joined: 26-April 09 | Posts: 399 | Topics Started: 23 | Member No.: 2224
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
  Posted: Nov 28 2009, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

As far as I can tell Miss Jo, Bettas can be treated as any other tropical fish . . . so, they would probably prefer not too much water agitation (unlike White Cloud Mountain Minnows! laugh.gif).

However . . . I would recommend that you supply some heat if it gets cold . . that is, under 70F (or approx 20C). These are pretty rugged fish, but, of course, males CANNOT be with other males in the same tank. dry.gif

I had always fed my "Frankie" wub.gif with "Betta pellets" (only a few at a time as he would eat them, so as not to pollute his water) in the afternoons. laugh.gif

Your fish does not need assistance from any algae eating friends if you keep his tank clear of algae (due to regular water changes and the usual precautions against algae) but he can get along with many other species of fish his same size!

HTH

All best,
Joe

This post has been edited by Neon Man on Nov 29 2009, 11:52 AM
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Nov 28 2009, 10:44 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Thanks again Neon Man! biggrin.gif
Now all I have to do is get it past my other half...... whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

PMEmail Poster
Posted: May 5 2012, 08:45 AM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

I am still wanting a Betta and after buying some filter pads today, I noticed a new aquarium place had opened just around the corner from my regular haunt. So in I went, and unfortunately I was appalled. The place smelt like a hundred cats had wee'd on the floor, there were filters sitting on the ground and the most horrendous thing was they had 4 red Bettas in coffee jars shoved away in a corner, no heat, no light and all looking very forlorn. Even my other half was disgusted.
I wanted to buy them all and give them a better home, but unfortunately my other tanks aren't set up.
Do I report these people to the RSPCA? The conditions were dismal.
PMEmail Poster
RatMan
Posted: May 5 2012, 01:59 PM
Quote Post
Canada, Red & White!

Group: Moderators

Shop Finage: 49730

Joe has hit all the real important issues and if you live in a nice warm climate a heater is not needed. I have seen at a local hair place a betta in a really nice tall vase and it seems really happy, I have kept females and males in a community tank and they were really nice to see all cloured up and with the long male fins. Perhaps a male and female and see if you can breed them? Miss Jo's Betta fram....nice ring to that ...... lmao.gif
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 20-July 04 | Posts: 9097 | Topics Started: 1231 | Member No.: 63
Awards: 11
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
  Posted: May 5 2012, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Thanks, Ratty . . . smile.gif

And yes, Miss Jo . . . if you suspect that animals are being mistreated, then by all means you should report this to the authorities . . .

So many people think that, "So what? . . . they are just fish!"

But fish (especially those that are captive) are subject to the conditions that we as humans impose upon them . . . they are living creatures that deserve protection especially when they are sold, kept, or bred as "pets" . . .

I hate it when I hear about any living creatures being mistreated. mad.gif

We, as humans, are supposedly at the top of the "food chain" . . . but, with that position, we are also charged with the responsibilty of proper care and disposition of creatures "subject to us" . . .

It is unfair, immoral, and unethical to mistreat any living creature kept as a pet, even a "fish".

And, I hate to say this, but here goes: The worst possible thing that anyone can do is to buy fish such as Bettas kept in such awful conditions as you describe because they feel "sorry" for them! (And believe me, because you have such a good heart, these unreputable fish dealers would have a ready market).

Buying fish kept in conditions such as these can only encourage further unethical behaviour from such fish dealers.

It's the old law about "supply and demand" . . . if no one buys them, they will no longer be kept and sold in these conditions.

I invite further comment from all our members on this issue.

All best, Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Posted: May 7 2012, 08:52 AM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Thanks RatMan and Neon Man!
It is unfair, immoral, and unethical to mistreat any living creature kept as a pet, even a "fish".

Amen Neon Man! I could not agree more with you on that! I do understand your supply and demand statement and hope that my report will be acted on so those poor fish can have a healthier life.

BTW I have set up my 2 foot tank and am currently cycling it......Just the place for a Betta to make his home in..... biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
kkeggie
Posted: May 7 2012, 05:16 PM
Quote Post
FREAK MAGNET

Shop Finage: 14730
Downloads: 2

Do not underestimate a female betta either. They look drab and brown in a fish shop, but when you get them home they colour up to be just as beautiful as the males....but without the fancy tails.

So you could get a male and a female, or a few females?
Member Info: | Joined: 17-May 05 | Posts: 2846 | Topics Started: 262 | Member No.: 630
Your Gallery: | Images: 14 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail Poster
RatMan
Posted: May 8 2012, 12:24 AM
Quote Post
Canada, Red & White!

Group: Moderators

Shop Finage: 49730

lmao.gif
or a few females?

yes one male and about 3 females......I can think that would be ennjoyable....... whistling.gif
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 20-July 04 | Posts: 9097 | Topics Started: 1231 | Member No.: 63
Awards: 11
PMEmail Poster
Posted: May 13 2012, 08:53 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

Shop Finage: 11495
Submissions: 4 
Downloads: 12

QUOTE (RatMan @ May 8 2012, 12:24 AM)
lmao.gif
or a few females?

yes one male and about 3 females......I can think that would be ennjoyable....... whistling.gif

laugh.gif @ Ratty

Yeah, I kept a male and two females in a large community before. The females are a nice looking fish. I also at one time seemed to have a male masquerading as a female. It turned a stunning sky blue and all of its fins grew fully to male proportions. The existing red male didn't take to it immediately, but they settled to have one end of the tank each and stayed out of each others way. Only during water changes would they spar up in the middle of the tank, and then go their seperate ways again.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17352 | Topics Started: 1006 | Member No.: 207
Awards: 20
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Posted: Aug 15 2012, 01:14 PM
Quote Post
"God love 'um..."

Shop Finage: 20055
Downloads: No Files Downloaded

I actually just bought a pair of male bettas, (their in separate bowls of course), they are delta tails? I think that's what they were...and they are just gorgeous...one of the males is in a large-ish bowl/vase kinda thing...it's got a narrow opening, then flares out into a wide bowl, and the other one I had to put in a mason jar...I KNOW I KNOW, bad but it's a large mason jar and he has plenty of space to swim, and it's on the taller side...Once I find the right bowl for him he will be moved. But until then, it's water changes every couple days after a feeding to keep his water clean smile.gifI'll post some pics in the gallery...
Member Info: | Joined: 9-September 04 | Posts: 4768 | Topics Started: 295 | Member No.: 151
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Posted: Aug 16 2012, 07:59 AM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Meet George.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

Page Hits: 18035321