Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox - Edit Your Setting - View Shoutbox
Got any photos of your tank/fish? Why not join the forum? Come and join the fun.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

No New Posts - New Posts
Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fluval 305 External Problem
kkeggie
Posted: Jan 9 2011, 05:28 PM
Quote Post
FREAK MAGNET

Group: Members

Prefers: Tropical Aquarium

Shop Finage: 14730
Submissions: None Submitted
Downloads: 2

Hi guys. Having some issues with my fluval 305 external. It's flow is very low. Could there be blockage in the pipes? Keep on having to manually pump the water through it to help it. We have a tetra external on another tank with no issues. Thanks
Member Info: | Joined: 17-May 05 | Posts: 2846 | Topics Started: 262 | Member No.: 630
Awards: 2
Your Gallery: | Images: 14 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jan 9 2011, 06:46 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

Group: Admin

Shop Finage: 31625
Downloads: 13

Sounds like there's a blockage somewhere Kerry, could be in the pipes, or the strainer is blocked, or the media is needing a clean? Have you checked your impellor? If it's not sitting properly it may not be turning properly which could also reduce your flow. Hopefully it'll be one of the above, nowt major to repair and should be back to full power in minutes!
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 27-February 05 | Posts: 11171 | Topics Started: 857 | Member No.: 528
Awards: 23
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 0 |
PMEmail Poster
RatMan
Posted: Jan 10 2011, 01:10 AM
Quote Post
Canada, Red & White!

Group: Moderators

Shop Finage: 49730
Downloads: 1

not being a fluval owner I am not sure of their makeup but my Rena was having issues with the return of water it seemed to be really slow. I took it apart and cleane dit and it stillwas really slow in pumping water out......so I took a second and closer look...the intake tube near the end of it were it was hard to see was clogged with snails...once I got them out the flow was 100% better.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 20-July 04 | Posts: 9097 | Topics Started: 1231 | Member No.: 63
Awards: 11
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Jan 10 2011, 09:36 AM
Quote Post
Iceman

Shop Finage: 11465
Submissions: 4 
Downloads: 12

I'd agree with Mick and Ratty. You don't mention how long it is since it has been cleaned. Also, do you have live plants in the tank? The biggest problem I had with my fluvals was plant debris, It would clog the gap between the inlet strainer pipe and the plastic ball (valve) in the strainer.

Although I never had a snail blockage problem on my fluvals, I used to get them on the eheim and marathons quite often. They used to clog the pipe like Ratty said and also the impellor cover.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17346 | Topics Started: 1006 | Member No.: 207
Awards: 20
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
superdart
Posted: Jan 10 2011, 02:18 PM
Quote Post
TFK Veteran

Prefers: Marine Aquarium

Shop Finage: 20240

Strip down and clean,check the pipework for blockages and airlocks in the pump motor housing.Its most likeky the inlet strainer though thats blocked with plant debris.
Member Info: | Joined: 5-April 06 | Posts: 3777 | Topics Started: 185 | Member No.: 955
PMEmail PosterMSN
Neon Man
Posted: Jan 10 2011, 02:48 PM
Quote Post
"Ensign . . . get us out of here . . . warp nine!"

Group: Super Moderator

Shop Finage: 22460

Good advice from all the above smile.gif

Long time no see, Kerry! ohmy.gif . . . . . Don't be such a stranger! wink.gif

All best,
Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4299 | Topics Started: 378 | Member No.: 79
Awards: 1
PMEmail Poster
kkeggie
Posted: Jan 10 2011, 06:17 PM
Quote Post
FREAK MAGNET

Hi guys! Inlet strainer is clear last did a clean 2 weeks ago. Think I'll check the impeller and pipes out. It's never been a great filter realy. Had it around 4 months. The tetra one we have is great. Ta for the advice
Member Info: | Joined: 17-May 05 | Posts: 2846 | Topics Started: 262 | Member No.: 630
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Jan 10 2011, 11:15 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

Also worth checking how the pipework routes. Especially on start up, they don't like being bent into an "S" shape (with the "S" turned on its sode if that makes sense). Try and make the pipe as straight as possible.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17346 | Topics Started: 1006 | Member No.: 207
kkeggie
Posted: Jan 12 2011, 09:24 PM
Quote Post
FREAK MAGNET

The filter is lower than the water level. The outflow pipe is as short as can be and straigh intake pipe maybe a tad long (to help me get filter out of cupboard so i can get lid off) but there is no S shape today It lost it's flow again. I'm at a loss. It's very annoying and I don't want to loose my fish.
PMEmail Poster
RatMan
Posted: Jan 13 2011, 12:58 AM
Quote Post
Canada, Red & White!

Group: Moderators

Shop Finage: 49730

Sorry I can not help you anymore because I never owned one of them filters.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 20-July 04 | Posts: 9097 | Topics Started: 1231 | Member No.: 63
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Jan 13 2011, 09:26 AM
Quote Post
Iceman

Very odd. Is it running slow all of the time, or does it start off good and then get slower. I would check the impellor next, and also double check the aquastop tap doesn't have any blockages. Have you take the pipework out completely to make sure there is nothing clogging the bends over the edge of the tank?
Group Icon
Posted: Jan 13 2011, 09:28 AM
Quote Post
Danny

Shop Finage: 2705
Submissions: 2 
Downloads: 24

i have the 404 and my impeller is broke, that is reducing water flow, also make sure the rubber o-ring isn't corroded. Thats the o-ring you have when you take the top off to clean it. Might be letting air in. Mine also does this although it pumps air into the tank every now and again. but all said if it's the impeller or air is getting in then you should hear a noticable diffrence in the sound of the pump. Impeller would rattle and air will cause a bubble noise ever now and then.

I would strip the pump, clean everything check it all over for any signs of wear or damage, poke something long through the pipes like a bamboo stick and see if that makes any diffrence
Member Info: | Joined: 20-June 04 | Posts: 2424 | Topics Started: 307 | Member No.: 3
Awards: 10
Your Gallery: | Images: 152 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterMSN
kkeggie
Posted: Jan 13 2011, 12:53 PM
Quote Post
FREAK MAGNET

i hope it doesnt have wear and tear - its only 4months old!!

It starts off great and then gets worse - like i said, only cleaned it 2 weeks ago.
ive already checked the impellor and cleaned it.
There isnt individual aquavalve for each pipe. I cant describe what it is - i cant see how it would be clogged but ill check it.
i took the pipes out of the filter the other day and drained water through them into a bucket - flow was excellent. Unfortunaltey this makes me think its a main filter issue rather than pipe blockage.

No impellor rattle noise, but air bubbles do come through every now and again. but the bubble wall was a bit close to the intake pipe - ive moved it now.

booooo dry.gif
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Jan 13 2011, 01:00 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

Yeah, it is a complete assembly called the "Aquastop". There is a blue lever (I think it is blue on the 05 series) which controls flow, and then a release leaver underneath that which you lift to release the "whole" aquastop to remove the filter.

What media do you have in it Kerry? Normally there are two large course sponges, and then bio media on the baskets? Plus there is the lid on the top basket before putting the top of the filter on. Just wondering if the media in your top basket is blocking the hole in the lid and restricting flow.
Group Icon
kkeggie
Posted: Jan 13 2011, 01:14 PM
Quote Post
FREAK MAGNET

Hi rick - you described the aquastop valve perfectly!

the media you described is correct. Cant remember whats in the top basket. Just the white round rocks with holes in - i think.

I think i may do a clean when i get home....when i looked at the media the other day (when i cleaned impellor) it was quite dirty - but as id only cleaned it 2 weeks ago i was loathed to clean it again...

ARGH why didnt my BF buy another tetra extrnal filter instead of this one!
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Page Hits: 17765218