Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox - Edit Your Setting - View Shoutbox
Got any photos of your tank/fish? Why not join the forum? Come and join the fun.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

No New Posts - New Posts
Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Time for a New Computer?, (or just a new browser?)
Neon Man
  Posted: Jun 19 2013, 04:55 PM
Quote Post
"Ensign . . . get us out of here . . . warp nine!"

Group: Super Moderator

Prefers: Tropical Aquarium

Shop Finage: 22470
Submissions: None Submitted
Downloads: 1

My current Windows machine is really obsolete . . . sad.gif

It's an 8 yr old design running Windows XP sp 3 and the RAM is fully maxed out at 2GB, etc. etc. No matter what I do, it runs slower and slower . . . if I run the McAfee "real time" scanning, I can't even play Solitare anymore, it's so slow cry1.gif

I'm seriously thinking about finally getting an iMac and am thoroughly researching it right now.

mmmm.... just think: . . . 8-16GB of RAM, 2.7 Ghz quad-core Intel i5 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics card, 256GB of SSD storage, 21.5" monitor, etc. etc. dribble.gif

In the meanwhile, could anyone give me some advice about the "Google Chrome" browser? Does anyone use it? It is supposed to be faster. If I download it, will it overwrite my Internet Explorer (version 8)? I don't want to lose all my "Favourites", etc.

Thank you for any advice you could give me smile.gif

All best, and cyber-challenged,
Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4301 | Topics Started: 378 | Member No.: 79
Awards: 1
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 0 |
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jun 19 2013, 08:13 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

Group: Admin

Shop Finage: 31625
Downloads: 13

I use Google Chrome all the time Joe. It doesn't overwrite Internet Explorer or your favourites. You can import all your bookmarks from IE into it. I guess it's just a personal thing, I know lots that won't use Chrome, but I like it.

McAfee will be slowing your machine down, I had it free for a year from an earlier ISP and I ended up uninstalling it and replacing it with AVG Free, and my old laptop with XP ran faster (that was maxed out at 1gb of ram and was a 2004 model)

I would love to run an iMac, that's what I was using when I was doing some night classes at college and Photoshop ran faster than it does on my 4gb laptop at home, but for the differences in cost between iMac and Windows, it's too big to make up for the difference in performance for me.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 27-February 05 | Posts: 11171 | Topics Started: 857 | Member No.: 528
Awards: 23
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
  Posted: Jun 20 2013, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Thanks, mate smile.gif

I installed Google Chrome, and suddenly things seems to working as smooth as silk now.

Although I do not thoroughly understand it as much as I would like, it seems that Google wants everybody to put all their stuff under one roof so to speak. I am on "YouTube" a lot, and use the Google search engine a lot, but I also have a "Gmail" account, and now a "Google+" account (but I'm not sure exactly how those two things got created . . . unsure.gif)

Once installed, a new "Google Chrome" icon appears on my desktop. It seems that ALL the "Google stuff" works smoothly, flawlessly, and quickly as long as I am using the Chrome Browser.

If I try to go on "YouTube" using Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), it bogs down.

tfk.gif runs just fine under IE8 (which I am using right now writing this), and I disabled the McAfee anti-virus "real time scanning" which helps a lot, but of course is counterproductive to the whole idea of anti-virus software, right? dry.gif

If/when I switch over to an iMac, I can't wait to see all the fun I'm going to have rolleyes.gif

But one thing is for sure: I am DETERMINED to get all this stuff sorted . . . once and for all mad.gif

Thanks so much for your understanding and support, mate! I wish I knew half of what you know.

I will keep everyone posted. Maybe somebody else out there might benefit from reading through the upcoming posts.

All best, Jersey Joe
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 29-July 04 | Posts: 4301 | Topics Started: 378 | Member No.: 79
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jun 21 2013, 10:42 AM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

I don't know much about this stuff Joe. With regards to the antivirus stuff, I was given the tip on here as to what to use!

I used to use IE all the time, now, I never ever use it. I use Chrome for everything. As for gmail and google+ etc, you can log them out, which is what I've done.

I would recommend you do a google on antivirus software, programs like McAfee and Norton (I've used both in the past) are very greedy with your computers resources. I switched to a free program and my old laptop sped up immediately, and I've continued to use the same program when I switched to a different laptop with Windows7.

Good to hear that things have sped up for you in the meantime until you decide what you're going to do smile.gif
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 27-February 05 | Posts: 11171 | Topics Started: 857 | Member No.: 528
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jun 21 2013, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Thanks again, Mick . . . smile.gif

The more I use the Google Chrome browser, the more I like it thumbsup.gif

(I'm using it right now as I type this . . . FWIW, it is running a spell check as I go . . . something that IE8 never did, but now the Code Buttons here on tfk.gif don't seem to work properly: bold face, italics, underline and so on.)

All the "Google stuff" most definitely runs better (albeit not too surprisingly): G-mail, YouTube, Google+, etc.

I ran some tests with both browsers, and I'm quite pleased so far with the improvements that I can see. As always, it takes awhile to sort things out.

I'll keep everyone "posted" as I go. wink.gif

(Mick, BTW I tried to move this topic to the "Members Forums" under the "Computers and Technology" topic, but there doesn't seem to be any link to there from the Lounge. Could you please look at this when you get the chance, mate? Thanks).

All best, and studying his brains out,
Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jun 21 2013, 07:37 PM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

Sorted mate thumbsup.gif
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jun 23 2013, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

Thanks, curvi thumbsup.gif

I went to the Apple Store today . . . and spoke with a real, live, genuine human being! I had many of my questions answered, but many more still remain. My biggest concern is being able to move all my current Windows-based Word and Excel files over to the Macintosh platform.

I am so sick of all the "anti-virus" issues and software, plus Windows problems mad.gif

I am now convinced that the iMac is the way to go!

For all the technically curious people out there, I configured my proposed new system as follows:

OS X "Mountain Lion" (ver. 10.8.4) OS
21.5" monitor
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
2.7 GHz Intel quad-core i5 processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT640M 512 MB graphics card
256GB SSD flash storage
Apple "SuperDrive" external Optical Drive
Wireless Magic Mouse
Wired Apple keyboard w/numberpad
Apple word processing and spreadsheet software

All I need now is ~$2,100 USD and I'm all set! . . . laugh.gif

Apple is coming out with an even newer OS named "Mavericks" this fall, but I could upgrade to that later on. In the meanwhile, they claim that Apple's Safari browser is 1.44 times faster than the Google Chrome browser. ohmy.gif

I'll continue to keep everyone "posted" on what I learn smile.gif

All best, and really getting into this now,
"techno-geek" Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
RatMan
Posted: Jun 24 2013, 12:50 AM
Quote Post
Canada, Red & White!

Group: Moderators

Shop Finage: 49730

ohmy.gif wow $2,100.00 that is far more then I can justify something I spend about 60 mins per day in front of.
The number of rounds of golf I could get out of that? 42.
The number of tanks of gas I could get out of that? 140. Bike, 32 Truck.
The really cool fish tank I could get for that.

I'll stick to my Toshiba Satellite laptop, never had an issue with virus's or anything else yet touch wood. Windows 7 has proven to be a really easy and user friendly piece of kit. And at $350.. more in my price range.
But like types of fish tanks and fish each to their own.
Good luck with it. thumbsup.gif
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 20-July 04 | Posts: 9097 | Topics Started: 1231 | Member No.: 63
Awards: 11
PMEmail Poster
curviceps
Posted: Jun 24 2013, 10:08 AM
Quote Post
I can see you!!!!!

I must admit, I've had no issues with Windows7 either, that said, I didn't really have that many issues with XP when I had it, it was more down to the crap laptop I had at the time laugh.gif
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jun 24 2013, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Thanks RatMan and curviceps, you're both right . . .

I never had any issue with the Windows XP either, but now all the platforms are being modified by every brand. This is so that their software will work on all devices (computers, laptops, phones, tablets, etc.) and appear consistent.

My hardware is maxed out and I can't upgrade it any further, so now it's time to replace it.

And yes Ratty, $2000+ is a lot to pay for a system, but remember that price is for a full sized all-in-one desktop system with an Intel i5 processor (which by itself would add $250 more to a $350 Toshiba C850-BT3N11 laptop), and a 21.5" LED monitor. It also includes sales tax, a 3 year service contract, a year of personal instruction, external optical drive, an advanced storage (solid state drive) system, and Apple software.

I could definitely shave off a few hundred dollars by dropping some of those options, but my computer system is all I have for entertainment (no telly) and I spend a lot more than an hour a day in front of it smile.gif

There is a big push now to drop optical drives (due to video streaming, downloading drivers and apps, Netflix, etc.) but I have dozens and dozens of DVD's that I would still like to play (in addition to possibly loading software), so I need the SuperDrive.

I'm still researching all of this stuff, and I may not get the iMac after all . . . stop.gif

There are indeed plenty of higher end Windows-based systems in the $800-1000 range, but as I said, I'm sick of the PC anti-virus software issues, and freeze-ups, etc. and I have always heard nothing but good about Apple products.

I'm just posting what I'm finding out in case there are others out there also considering a new computer smile.gif

All best, Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
RatMan
Posted: Jun 24 2013, 10:51 PM
Quote Post
Canada, Red & White!

Group: Moderators

Shop Finage: 49730

Like I said each to their own, I had spent about $1,200.00 years ago on a state of the art desk top computer that at the time would have worked as a server for the neighbourhood. Within a couple of months it was not the top of the line nor state of the art in computers anymore. So I stopped trying to keep in the top of the line stuff. Also I only spend about a hour at the most on the computer, and it is mostly to chat with friends and family, I have too many other things on the go so what ever it takes to float your boat.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 20-July 04 | Posts: 9097 | Topics Started: 1231 | Member No.: 63
Awards: 11
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jun 25 2013, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (RatMan @ Jun 24 2013, 06:51 PM)
I had spent about $1,200.00 years ago on a state of the art desk top computer that at the time would have worked as a server for the neighbourhood. Within a couple of months it was not the top of the line nor state of the art in computers anymore. So I stopped trying to keep in the top of the line stuff.

Thank you Ratty, I understand and appreciate your concern smile.gif

But don't worry, mate . . . the system I eventually decide upon will NOT be out of date any time soon! I will do my best to make certain of that.

(You and I are about the same age. Remember that old saying: "stuff expands to fill all available space"? . . . Well my take on that one is: "Internet commercials and advertisements will expand to fill all available RAM" . . . lmao.gif)

So I am still deciding whether or not to go with increased RAM vs balancing against faster access storage. This will be especially important if I decide to pursue video editing, graphics, photography applications etc. later on.

Nonetheless, this time around, I am going all-out for a super computer system which will also function as a television, etc. It's one of the things on my "bucket list".

All best, Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Neon Man
Posted: Jul 8 2013, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (curviceps @ Jun 19 2013, 04:13 PM)
I use Google Chrome all the time Joe. It doesn't overwrite Internet Explorer or your favourites. You can import all your bookmarks from IE into it. I guess it's just a personal thing, I know lots that won't use Chrome, but I like it.

McAfee will be slowing your machine down, I had it free for a year from an earlier ISP and I ended up uninstalling it and replacing it with AVG Free . . .

Thanks, curvi . . . Google Chrome has been working very well for me and I have indeed noticed an increase in performance . . . smile.gif

I've also been VERY busy researching the different "anti-virus" software out there.

I agree that the McAfee and the Norton products use a lot of resources, and so I just now discontinued my McAfee coverage from "AO Hell" rolleyes.gif . . . (why spend $5/mo for something that I have to shut off because it won't let my computer run, eh? Everything on Windows seems to need a minimum of 4GB RAM to run at all, anyway).

At any rate, I am more and more determined to get an iMac as I go along. . .

I looked into the "AVG Free" software, but (unless I'm mistaken) it won't protect you during online banking, purchasing, etc. Could you please give us your opinion on AVG, as well as your experiences with it? Is it better to purchase "full coverage" from AVG, etc.?

Thanks so much, mate smile.gif

All best, Jersey Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Jul 9 2013, 08:40 AM
Quote Post
TFK Veteran

Shop Finage: 16660
Downloads: 15

I switched from a Windows laptop to a MacBook Pro in October last year and haven't missed Windows. You can now get Microsoft Office for Mac, I tried the trial version and its very good. Quite odd getting used to how completely different the mac OS is and then having a piece of Windows software on your screen laugh.gif I use Pages now though and like that too but must admit to being tempted to buying Office for Mac just for the convenience as most people I know are on Windows.

As for AV software, I used to turn almost everything off on mine but made sure it scanned incoming mails and files etc. If its scanning everything in the background it really will slow everything down. I also still check the windows laptop now the kids use it to make sure it's not full of toolbars that they never remember to opt out of when they download some of the rubbish they like to have laugh.gif
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 24-April 05 | Posts: 11233 | Topics Started: 702 | Member No.: 600
Awards: 6
Your Gallery: | Images: 39 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterMSN
Neon Man
Posted: Jul 9 2013, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Thanks, Min smile.gif

The MacBook Pro is a very good machine and I also considered it, but since I don't need portability anymore, I'll get the desktop system.

I am trying to finalize my list of options for the iMac. One concern I have is being able to use all my old MS Office (Word and Excel) files.

Still have to determine whether I need the "Office for Mac" software, or if I can just use the Pages and Numbers from Apple.

Can't wait to get my new machine laugh.gif

All best, Joe
Group Icon
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

Page Hits: 17835895