Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox - Edit Your Setting - View Shoutbox
Got any photos of your tank/fish? Why not join the forum? Come and join the fun.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

No New Posts - New Posts
Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Electronic Blanket Weed Killer
Posted: Apr 5 2006, 07:56 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Group: Members

Prefers: Pond

Shop Finage: 525
Submissions: None Submitted
Downloads: No Files Downloaded

Just wondered if anyone has used these gadgets in the past or are using one now, do they really work ?
Following only a few days of sun, the dreaded blanket weed has begun to take over the pond.
I took advice from several people last year which resulted in spending over £250 on blanket weed killer.
I would prefer to "zap" the water with one of these but there are a few manufacturers out there marketing them. What I'd like to know is . . . . .

Do they work ?

If so , is it a case of you get what you pay for . . . .?

£24.95 for the Blagdons or (can't remember the name of the other one) £89.95.

Thanks in advance for advice ,

Naomi x x x x x
Member Info: | Joined: 30-December 04 | Posts: 884 | Topics Started: 65 | Member No.: 380
Awards: None
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 0 |
PM
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 07:14 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Blagdon have had another sale thumbup.gif
I'm hoping this little baby will bring an end to my blanket weed. Weather permitting . . . . . . it will be installed tomorrow. I have everything crossed and will keep you posted.

Regards

Naomi x x x x x
Member Info: | Joined: 30-December 04 | Posts: 884 | Topics Started: 65 | Member No.: 380
PM
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 07:37 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

Group: Admin

Prefers: Tropical Aquarium

Shop Finage: 11465
Submissions: 4 
Downloads: 12

Don't know anything about blanket weed gadgets but Blagdon are top notch on their pumps and filters so it should be good.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17346 | Topics Started: 1006 | Member No.: 207
Awards: 20
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Posted: Apr 18 2006, 08:20 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

After having to do a little electrical work to get this gadget installed , it is now active . . . . YAY ! Just waiting for it to start to take effect.

Also have just added some filter bacteria to get the filter up to speed.

So , I am now waiting for everything to start taking effect.

Will let you know how thing progress kicking.gif
PM
Stuart
Posted: Apr 19 2006, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Shop Finage: 440

QUOTE (Naomi @ Apr 18 2006, 09:20 PM)
After having to do a little electrical work to get this gadget installed , it is now active . . . . YAY ! Just waiting for it to start to take effect.

Also have just added some filter bacteria to get the filter up to speed.

So , I am now waiting for everything to start taking effect.

Will let you know how thing progress kicking.gif

Hi Naomi smile.gif

The blanket weed killer from Blagdon is a good bit of kit but it will not kill blanket weed already present. It will kill the sporse in the water passing through the filter pipes that it is wrapped around so once you have manually removed what is already there it will stop it re-occuring.

To get rid of the blanket weed you can't go too far wrong with good old barley straw. The bacteria and stuff that is in it rots down the straw and in the process takes nutrients from the water that the blanket weed needs to survive. There is alos extract of barley straw and a new product called Clarity which introduces the bacteria on its own without the straw.

Best of luck - ponds are a lot of fun wink.gif
Member Info: | Joined: 16-July 05 | Posts: 78 | Topics Started: 4 | Member No.: 722
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Apr 19 2006, 09:33 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Well I will watch and wait , apparently:
"This disrupts the calcium ions in the water and causes the blanket weed's cells to break up."

I have had alot of dead matter on the bottom of my pond today that I have had to scoop out.

I am trying to veer away from buying everything on the market this year having tried the barley-straw last year and pond balance and bacteria etc . . . etc.

I do believe this gadget is doing as it says on the box thumbup.gif

Will keep you posted though biggrin.gif
PM
widget
Posted: Apr 20 2006, 02:04 PM
Quote Post
Advanced Member

Shop Finage: 785
Downloads: 3

I was in my lfs this morning and he was showing one to me think it was £59 i have no pond but it is only as big as a cig packet and he said he had one and it sorted his out
Member Info: | Joined: 10-November 05 | Posts: 142 | Topics Started: 34 | Member No.: 826
PMEmail PosterMSN
Posted: May 16 2006, 03:58 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Well, a month on and all I can say is WOW !

This little gadget (Blagdon electronic blanket weed killer) sure does work and thats a fact.

The blanket weed has died right back to just a green fuzz up the sides of the pond that is no more than ½cm thick.

The rate at which the blanket died was phenomenal which meant cleaning the filter sponges twice a day and netting the bottom of the pond but now that the blanket weed has all but gone the sponges are staying cleaner (upto 3 days - yay!).

So therefore this product gets the thumbup.gif from me. Sure beats adding chemicals to the pond. kicking.gif
PM
Posted: Jul 5 2006, 10:33 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

mad.gif
Had a problem with my little gadget - turned off all the electrics to the pond to do the weekly maintenance. Flicked the switch and turned everything on to find the blanket weed killer had died !
Twice I phoned the manufacturers and twice I was put on hold for over ½ an hour mad.gif
So I phoned MAIDENHEAD AQUATICS in FINDON where I purchased it and straight away they offered me a replacement thumbup.gif

Nice to know some decent people/retailers still exist.

All up and running again now.

Whilst there I bought a Koi Air 50 pump. It needs to be housed in the garage or shed , this isn't possible , so does anyone have any "brilliant" ideas what I can put it in ?
Ice-cream tub has already been suggested but this pump is quite alot bigger than that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Naomi

x x x
PM
Posted: Jul 5 2006, 10:38 PM
Quote Post
Iceman

Group: Admin

Shop Finage: 11465
Submissions: 4 
Downloads: 12

QUOTE (Naomi @ Jul 5 2006, 11:33 PM)

Whilst there I bought a Koi Air 50 pump. It needs to be housed in the garage or shed , this isn't possible , so does anyone have any "brilliant" ideas what I can put it in ?
Ice-cream tub has already been suggested but this pump is quite alot bigger than that.

A couple of the local LFS's in Derby sell purpose made air pump boxes. If you can't find them at any LFS's near you then if you PM me your mobile I'll text you the cost of one on Friday when I go there and you can decide if you want me to send you one.
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 26-October 04 | Posts: 17346 | Topics Started: 1006 | Member No.: 207
Awards: 20
Your Gallery: | Images: 0 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Posted: Jul 5 2006, 10:50 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Thanks Rick qcool.gif
I shall probably take you up on the offer , I will scout around here first and let you know tomorrow, thumbsup.gif
PM
Stuart
Posted: Jul 8 2006, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Shop Finage: 440

QUOTE (Naomi @ Jul 5 2006, 11:50 PM)
Thanks Rick qcool.gif
I shall probably take you up on the offer , I will scout around here first and let you know tomorrow, thumbsup.gif

It may sound daft but you can buy little dog kennels designed for tiny dogs.

It's basically a little water-proof house - and will cover the air pump nicely.
Member Info: | Joined: 16-July 05 | Posts: 78 | Topics Started: 4 | Member No.: 722
PMEmail Poster
Posted: Jul 8 2006, 10:21 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

The thought had crossed my mind do something along those lines. I have numerous pieces of wood kicking round the place , so I may just start drawing some plans up ! ! qcool.gif
PM
Posted: Jul 13 2006, 09:47 PM
Quote Post
TFK Veteran

Group: Super Moderator

Shop Finage: 16660
Downloads: 15

QUOTE (Tim @ Jul 13 2006, 10:57 PM)
My father in law, being the tight old sod he is, decided to create a 'rock' made from paper mache. He formed it over a huge piece of pointed granite he found on a river bank (i got the job of carrying the bucket of paste and pva glue mixture all the way...thinking what secure home should we get him locked up in)
He pasted it all over and let it dry off. He carried it home and gave it the paint job, cut it down to suit then gave it a matt varnish, It now houses his pumps and has been in situ for about 7 years. Also houses a few mice, they don't play with the wires so they are 'tolerated'
Just an idea for you
Cheers
Tim

Fantastic, never would have thought of it!
Group Icon
Member Info: | Joined: 24-April 05 | Posts: 11233 | Topics Started: 702 | Member No.: 600
Awards: 6
Your Gallery: | Images: 39 | Comments: 2 |
PMEmail PosterMSN
Posted: Sep 4 2006, 05:27 PM
Quote Post
Advanced TFK Regular

Just another update.

I am now on my 3rd blanket weed killer because the first 2 died. I left it a while before installing the 3rd one because I guessed the problem was with my electrics and not the gadgets themselves.
I have now replaced all of the electrics to the pond that were installed when the pond was built, including a new switch box.

And that has done the trick , the blanket weed killer now works with no problems (yet) and none of the switch lights flicker (yay).

Piccie of pond today:

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Page Hits: 17835880